Snack and Water
Location: Bajos del Toro
Estimated departure from San José: Between 05:30 A.M. – 06:30 A.M.
Bajos del Toro is located in the shadow of the Poás Volcano, next to the Poás Volcano National Park, the Juan Castro Blanco National Park and the Rainforest/Cloud Forest Biological Reserve. Outdoor activities abound with steep trail systems to explore the flora and fauna of the forest. The area also has excellent trout fishing. Visitors can go hiking to the back of the Poas Volcano, go horseback riding, rafting, mountain biking or zip-line canopy tour. For the truly adventurous, there is a waterfall next to Catarata del Toro that falls 300 feet into an extinct volcanic crater.
The trip from San José to Bajos del Toro takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. Go through the wooden craft city of Sarchi, and then head towards Rio Toro. The road climbs steep mountain slopes with an impressive mountainous landscape and wide perspectives, before it falls precariously into the Yellow Valley, home of Bajos del Toro.
The tour explained
Park your car at Catarata Del Toro and use the restrooms to get your ticket. From here we will start walking on the public road and cross a beautiful farm. In addition, we will cross a river by a bridge, until we end up in the blue river. Approximately thirty minutes until this point and then:
- We begin to climb a small hill and then descend to the beautiful waterfall “Tepezcuintle”.
- Same way back and then descend to the blue river and to Las Gemelas.
- In the same way back, from where we can quickly see the blue rapids.
- Entering the blue river, for the third time, again at a lower point in a nice blue pool.
- Time to cool off and swim blue and as long as you want.
- From here we will take a not so easy route and we will take it to the waterfall # 4, 5, 6 and 7.
- Down to the blue lake.
- And finally, a section where we can see 3 other waterfalls and a nice environment.
- From here we go backwards.
What to expect: beauty, 7 blue, fast waterfalls, virgin forests and sections of rivers, blue pools and a blue lake. In addition, mountains, birds, normal waterfalls, forests, canyons and happy to be back. We will exceed your expectations!Total distance on foot: 6 km.
- Walking shoes or boots
- Anti-slip shoes for tennis or water shoes for the swimming part.
- Swimsuit, towel and backpack against water
- Anti-mosquito repellent
- 1.5 liters of water for drinkers